Giving a friend, family member, or loved one the perfect gift is the best part about the Christmas season. Some people are hard to shop for, though. You might be stumped about what to give the creative people in your life, but we’ll let you in on a little secret– they’re actually pretty easy to please.
We’re experts in vacuum and sewing repair, so we meet all sorts of people who want to tidy up their homes and complete more ambitious creative projects. Though we talk to all sorts of different people with all sorts of different needs, we find they all pretty much have one thing in common: they place a high value on the tools they use to create their masterpieces.
With that in mind, we’ve put together a 2015 Holiday Shopping Guide for the crafty people in your life. We have ideas for both the seasoned enthusiast and the beginner.
If you’re not sure what kind of machine they have, it always pays to do a little bit of snooping. You can even ask a spouse or family member to take a peek and report back to you– and we find candy and/or sweets always work well as a bribe.
The key to pleasing a skilled sewing/quilting enthusiast is providing them with an upgrade. They probably already have a good machine, but they probably also want something more. You’re likely a creative person yourself, so you know full well– creators are dreamers. We’re always dreaming of a bigger, better project and we want the tools to make our dreams into a reality.
Brother Persona – For the embroidery enthusiast in your life, there’s nothing better than the Brother Persona. We’re so impressed with it, in fact, that we wrote a whole blog post about it a short while ago.
If you haven’t read that blog post, here’s a brief summary of just a few things the Persona can do:
- Tubular Free Arm Configuration – The Brother Persona is a minor miracle because of this feature alone. Equipped with this free arm, there’s no such thing as a “hard to reach” spot. Embroider sleeves, pockets, caps, and bags with ease and confidence.
- Digital Magic – The Persona is equipped with a game-changing LCD screen, full USB functionality, and Droplight™ LED technology. The future is everything you dreamed it would be.
- Practicality – The Persona isn’t all fancy tech from the world of tomorrow; it’s also fiercely practical. Its small footprint allows it to fit into any crafting space. It holds four spools of thread at a time. And, best of all, its state-of-the-art threading system means the machine threads your needle in the blink of an eye. With the push of a single button.
PFAFF Creative Performance 5.0 – For the quilter and sewer in your life, PFAFF is an obvious choice. The PFAFF Creative Performance 5.0 has the ability to take their talent and creativity to the next level.
Here are just a few of its eye-popping features:
- Large Sewing Space – Perfect for quilters, fashionistas, and home decor specialists.
- 4 Built-In Stitch Fonts – The choice is yours! Or the choice of whoever you gift the machine to, really.
- Tapering on 9mm Decorative Stitches – Taper the end. Taper the beginning. Choose any angle you want.
- Pathwork Program – This program remembers your seam length, so you can repeat it over and over– with both decorative and utility stitches.
- LED Lights – No more shadows. No more squinting.
- Maxi Stitches – So many monograms and flourishes. So little time.
- Integrated Dual Feed – PFAFF’s trademark system means your fabric feeds evenly from the top and the bottom. Absolutely even fabric feed from both the top and the bottom.
Brother Dream Machine – The Brother Dream Machine comes equipped with a high-tech LCD screen, and it has plenty of built-in tutorials for advanced techniques. It also includes a scanner frame, so you can scan your designs, handwriting, and line art right into the machine. That crafty person in your life will be able to accomplish any intricate project they can imagine– with so many features, the hardest part will be deciding where to start.
Extension tables are also a great option. Sew Steady and Dream World both make great extension tables, which will help transform big projects from overwhelming headaches into beautiful realities.
All the best creators in the world started somewhere. As your family member, friend, or loved one’s spark turns into a flame, you can help nurture them into masters of their craft.
We have several machines that work perfectly for beginners. They’re real machines for real sewists/embroideres, but they won’t bog anyone down with features that might be too confusing for someone who’s just building up their skills and confidence.
The Brother SB170 – This machine is all about fun and simplicity. If someone on your gift list wants to tackle their first sewing projects right away, this is the machine for them. It’s compact, lightweight, and easy to use. The SB170 is an approachable machine that gives beginners a real boost in creativity, and it can help accomplish a variety of sewing projects with grace and gusto.
- 17 Built-in Stitches
- An LED work area, which is always brightly lit
- Free arm for sewing sleeves, cuffs, and other hard-to-reach items
- Easy bobbin winding system
- Easy-to-use blind hem stitch
- Jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Pattern selection dial
- Upper thread tension control
The Brother SB700T – This machine is great for beginners, too, but it’s also computerized. It’s perfect for the aspiring sewist who wants to dip their feet into a more high-tech machine. It includes plenty of features and accessories, and it can help create a diverse amount of projects with ease.
- 70 built-in stitches
- Back-lit LCD display with easy stitch selection
- Electronic speed control
- Simple bobbin winding system
- Jam resistant drop-in bobbin
- Free arm design
- Start/stop button and foot control
- Easy needle threader
- Reverse stitch
- Wide table accessory
PFAFF Smarter – PFAFF’s Smarter series comes in many different shapes and sizes. For an upper-scale beginner computerized machine, though, the 260c is the way to go. It’s affordable and versatile.
- Direct stitch selection
- Stop/start function
- Needle up/down function
- Information system display
- Automatic stitch width and stitch length
- Tie-off function
- Integrated needle threader
- Five presser foot system
- Hard cover
If you have questions about these machines or any others, just give us a call or stop by. We’ll be happy to help you find the perfect gift for any skill level.
Something For Everybody
If you’re not looking to buy a new machine for the enthusiast or beginner on your Christmas shopping list, you can still empower them to create with a smaller gift.
Just as all great creators need tools, they need supplies, too. They probably buy materials in large quantities without a second thought, but that’s only because they always need more materials. You can light up their Christmas by giving them something they always need more of.
- Patterns – We carry advanced patterns, but we also carry simple patterns for beginners.
- Scissors – How long do you use a pair of dull, hard-to-use scissors before you give up on them? Forever, right? Giving up on a trusty pair of scissors can be a hard decision to make. This Christmas, give the gift of making that decision for someone on your list. Goodbye, old scissors!
- Bobbins – Bobbins are always in demand. Feed the demand.
- Thread – There are so many kinds of thread. There’s no way the sewist on your list already has them all.
If you’re looking for a more unique gift, we have one final suggestion. You can give the gift of an Anita Goodesign Diamond Club membership. You pay a monthly fee and get exclusive designs, most of which are retired after they’re issued to the club. For the Anita Goodesign fan, there’s nothing better than receiving exclusive designs every month.
Creative people are easier to shop for than most people realize. Your tools are important to you, and you always need more supplies. It might take some investigative footwork, but you can find perfect gifts for the creative people in your life without too much effort or fuss. You already have a knack for this kind of thing, after all.
When you run a vacuum and sewing repair shop, you see what creators really get excited about. If you’re in doubt, just come in and ask us. We’ll be happy to help.
For The Love of Embroidery!
Jones Sew & Vac Team