When we’re not busy in our sewing machine store, we like to enjoy Southern Idaho as much as possible. Now that we’re on the cusp of summer, we’re getting excited about everything Pocatello, Boise, and Idaho Falls have to offer.
We’re blessed to live in Idaho because the outdoors are right at our doorstep. Boise, Pocatello, and Idaho Falls are also full of dedicated, creative people who bring dozens of fun events to life every year.
If you haven’t already made summer plans, we suggest trying something new this year. With that in mind, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite Idaho summer activities so you can branch out and make some great memories this summer.
Summer Fun in the Boise Area
If you live in Boise, you know how much the city, its metro area, and the surrounding natural wonders have to offer.
But you still probably haven’t experienced everything it has to offer.
We’ve put together quite a few suggestions for you here.
If you live in Idaho Falls or Pocatello, Boise is a relatively short drive– you might pick one or two of these things to experience for the first time.
Here are some summer gems in the Boise area:
- View local art, eat fair food, and enjoy the rides at the Western Idaho Fair
- Take in one or two Boise Hawks games
- Visit one of Boise’s several Farmers Markets
- Enjoy Boise River Park as it continues to grow and develop
- See colorful hot air balloons during the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic
- Explore Camel’s Back Park
- Play a round of Disc Golf at Julia Davis Park
- Learn and marvel at the majesty of the World Center For Birds of Prey
- Support local art and music at the Hyde Park Street Fair
- Cool off and soak up some history at the Old Idaho State Penitentiary
- Rock out at Idaho Botanical Garden’s Outlaw Summer Concert Series
- Explore and take a leisurely (or intense) hike up Table Rock
- See even more live music and pack a picnic for Idaho Botanical Garden’s Great Garden Escape Concert Series
- Cool off and relax while floating the Boise River
- Expand your mind at Art in the Park
- Laugh, cry, and find a new favorite play at the Idaho Shakespeare Festival
- Eat the best food in Boise at Savor Idaho
You can find even more summer fun here.
Summer Fun for Pocatello
Many Idaho residents don’t know just how fun Pocatello can be in the summer months. We have fun in Pocatello every year, of course, but we still haven’t done everything.
Pocatello community members are always innovating, creating, and thinking up new ideas for summer activities.
If you’ve never visited Pocatello, try staying for a weekend this year. You’ll be impressed with what you find.
And you can try some of these summer gems:
- You’ll learn something new, be surprised, and get excited to come back once you visit the Museum of Clean
- Gain a new appreciation for animals, nature, and prehistoric beasts at the Idaho Museum of Natural History
- Travel back to the 19th century at the Fort Hall Replica
- Trade, barter, and have an unforgettable time at the Port-Neuf Rendezvous
- Shop, eat, and taking a walking tour in Old Town Pocatello
- Enjoy the scenery and local produce at Swore Farms
- Have fun while learning about Idaho at the Bannock County Historical Museum
- Take in a show on a summer evening at the Portneuf Health Trust Amphitheatre
- Treat your kids (and inner child) to laser tag and mini golf at Outer Limits
- Cool off and get fit at the Ross Park Aquatic Complex
- Take the First Friday Art Walk and support local artists
- Visit Cherry Springs Trail and take a hike
- Hop on an ATV at the Serengeti Trail
You can find even more ideas here.
Summer Fun for Idaho Falls
Idaho Falls keeps expanding and getting better. We love watching the community grow, and we love operating our shop in Idaho Falls.
The natural wonders surrounding IF are summer destinations for people from all over the country, and for good reason. But there’s plenty to do inside the city, too.
If you’re a lifelong Idaho Falls resident, we hope you find something new on this list. If you’ve never visited Idaho Falls before, you owe yourself a trip.
Some summer gems in Idaho Falls:
- Walk the Snake River Greenbelt and marvel at the falls
- Visit the Lava Trail system, aka Hell’s Half Acre, and stand in awe of the miracle of geology
- Get dirty at the St. Anthony Sand Dunes
- Take advantage of numerous white water rafting opportunities
- Try your luck at wakeboarding at The Cable Factory in Rexburg
- Enjoy a nice hike and spectacular waterfall at the Darby Wind Caves
- Have a classic drive-in movie experience at Motor-Vu
- Buy local produce at the Idaho Falls Farmers Market
- Embrace your inner cowpoke at the War Bonnet Roundup
- Socialize, eat great food, and take in live music at Alive After Five
- Ride in an actual hot air balloon with Idaho Balloon Rides
- Visit Heisi Hot Springs for pizza, golf, a water park, fishing, and more
- Lock and load for paintball at G&H Paintball Field
Jacob Grant has even more ideas here, along with plenty of quality photos.
If you visit Boise, Idaho Falls, or Pocatello from any other city, make sure you stop by our sewing machine store. We’re happy to give in-person recommendations for summer fun based on your own tastes and preferences.
Do you have a summer time gem you’d like to share? Contact us today and we’ll share the best of the best on our social media!
For the love of Embroidery!
Jones Sew & Vac Team